Trending

Harvey Weinstein is released on a 1 million dollar bail over sexual abuse and rape charges

Former Hollywood movie producer Harvey Weinstein is now released on a 1 million dollar bail after being charged with sexual abuse and rape by multiple women in Manhattan. The movie mogul has no problem in wearing a GPS tracker and to give away his passport to the police, after surrendering himself on Friday.

Harvey Weinstein is released on a 1 million dollar bail over sexual abuse and rape charges

However, Weinstein, 66, has denied charges of non-consensual sex while his lawyer Benjamin Brafman said that his client would plead not guilty. Rose McGowan, the actress who had accused Weinstein of forcefully raping her, said the BBC that it was an amazing day for all of his survivors.

In one case, the federal prosecutors in New York had charged the movie mogul with a first and third-degree rape while in the second case, Weinstein had been charged with a first-degree sex act, said the sources.

Weinstein had arrived at the police station during the morning hours and had three books with him in his hand. After the fingerprints and the mugshots were taken, Weinstein was then led to the court with him wearing handcuffs.

In the court, prosecutor Joan Illuzzi said that Weinstein used his money, position as well as power to induce young women into situations where he was able to harass them sexually. Witnesses say that the former studio boss looked pale and looked distracted while his prosecutors carried out the bail agreement. The case has been adjourned until 30 July.

Brafman told the media outside the court that his client would plead not guilty.
Notably, over 80 women across the world have filed rape, assault and other sexual abuse accusations against the disgraced Hollywood producer. The news of him surrendering has been welcomed by Weinstein’s accusers as a sign that things are finally moving in their favour.

The allegations made by dozens of women came out in public for the first time last year in October, when The New York Times and The New Yorker in 2017 reported that Weinstein had sexually abused many of his female assistants, executives as well as actresses with who he had worked.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

To Top